RSS Feed

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ajami film review

Oh, Ajami.
First I was upset that you were only playing in the East Coast, and I living in the Bay Area, felt rather deprived. Then I was delighted to try to catch you during my visit to NYC and thus make it even more special of a viewing experience.
But of course, I soon discovered--during my NYC stay of course-- that you would be showing up to Bay Area screens after all. Oh, the irony! But one which I actually welcomed...
So I finally was able to see this movie, and I must say I was rather pleasantly surprised.
I have seen many movies surrounding the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and I must say Ajami provides a very convincing narrative. The setting of Ajami, a neighborhood of the Jaffa - Tel Aviv metropolis, ensures that a variety of people and situations-- Jewish, Christian, and Muslim-- will be encountered. An Arab - Jewish creation (Palestinian Scandar Copti and Jewish Israeli Yaron Shani), with a virtually unknown cast and a natural, unrehearsed feel, this film will not disappoint.
Expect twists and turns, expect issues you’ve probably never thought of as part of this conflict, expect a surprise ending.
It is not a “happy” movie, but few worth seeing ever are.

No comments:

Post a Comment